Traveling With Horses: What You Need to Know

Each year horse owners Mr. and Mrs. Price log numerous miles on equestrian trails that go through state parks in Tennessee, Michigan, and all in the Midwest. And their horses have the travel documents to verify it.

They carry all the necessary paperwork, like health certificates, Coggins testing paperwork, and CVI done by a vet for their horses whenever they travel with them. State park operators will not give them a campsite without seeing the documents first.

Almost all U.S. states necessitate that professional shippers or owners moving horses across or within state lines carry the necessary documentation. They must have proof that every animal has tested negative for equine infectious anemia (EIA) and has been checked by a veterinarian within a certain time period before traveling. Here some info on what it takes to travel with your horses.

Most states need proof that a horse has tested negative for EIA within a year before traveling. Though, a few states require horses test EIA negative within one or two months before entering the state.

Owners of horses in transit must also be willing to prove with a CVI that every horse has gotten a veterinary examination during which he was confirmed healthy enough to travel. During these pre-travel examinations a veterinarian examines a horse for clear signs of illness, like nasal or eye discharge. Also, the vet checks the horse’s body temperature and assesses the animal’s weight and total body condition. The veterinarian also talks with the owner to decide if the horse is behaving and eating normally, and whether the horse has been recently around unhealthy animals.

Even horses going to Canada must have international health certificates stamped by the USDA. It is important to note that there are plenty of veterinarians in the US who will prepare travel documents for Canada-bound horses.